Here we are, the last quarter of the year. Have you stayed focused on your goals and achieved those things you set out to do before the year’s end?
It takes discipline to focus. Many of us might fool ourselves into thinking we are focused. Here are some signs that you may not be as focused as you would like to believe:
- At the end of the week, you are asked what you did this week and nothing great comes to mind. “Yup, it was a good work week. I worked hard, really hard. And I did the usual stuff, you know, meetings to drive my team forward, etc…”
- You finish each day tired, without a deep sense of accomplishment.
- When asked, “What is your number one priority?” you think: "Well… I have 5 number ones…”
Try an age old formula to get more focused:
- Make a list of 3-5 priorities, in order. Start your day and think about what you need to get done in order of priority.
- Decide to remain focused on #1 and get it done before moving on to #2.
- When you complete all the items on your list, your day is done. Celebrate your victories and enjoy the rest of your day. This makes you stronger for tomorrow.
Guest Article Provided By: Patrick Thean is the author of Execute without Drama and an award-winning serial entrepreneur who has started and exited multiple companies. Patrick is the CEO of Gazelles Systems and the co-chair of the MIT Enterprise Forum and EO’s world-renowned Entrepreneur’s Masters Program—a highly exclusive three-year program that provides successful entrepreneurs with practical education to grow their businesses.